It's Potty Training Time!!
Here is our Potty Training checklist to get you all ready to go!
1. Make sure your little one is ready.
- This means that they need to have a few things such as a dry diaper in the morning and can tell you when they need a diaper change
2. Build Excitement...
- Have a Potty Party!! Get your child's favorite stuffed animal and practice having the animal sit on the potty and getting a ton of praise. Make a super big deal of it! Trust me...your kiddo will want that too!
3. 1st Day…
- No disposables – Keeps them too dry (only at night)
- Good Training Pants
- Pump your kiddo full of liquids. This way you’ll get lots of practice
- Plan on being home for the first 2-3 days
- Lots of immediate rewards (mini m&m’s)
- Target Practice for boys by putting cheerio's in the potty (be careful because this MAY cause more mess than its worth!)
- If your child is afraid of the large toilet then face the back of potty. They feel much more secure that way!
- Set a timer for every 10 min at first…then 15…then 20 min. Kids respond better to a timer than they do mom. Especially if they get mad about having to sit on the potty!
- Not great for young learners
- Need immediate rewards established before moving to long term.
5. Prep their bed
- Use diapers or disposables at night until you have mastered the daytime.
- Waterproof sheet for mattress. We double up the sheets so we layer waterproof cover, sheet, then another waterproof cover, then another sheet. That way you can take off a sheet and cover in the night and still be all set to tuck your monkey right back in bed.
6. Patience & Persistance
Don’t go back and forth. Make sure your child is really ready then go for it.
7. Keep Calm
- If you are prepared then you will have a lot more patience! Remember that for the most part kids want to please and if we get overly frustrated with them thats when they will push back!!
You got this Mama's...Now go and get it done!!